Queen Luise Memorial Church


Rehabilitation in accordance with the preservation order

The Königin-Luise-Gedächtniskirche in Berlin-Schöneberg was completed by 1912 according to the plans of the Friedenau architect Fritz Berger.

As a neo-baroque central building, the church characterizes the urban ensemble of the "Red Island" at the intersection of Gustav-Müller-Platz. Its red dome roof, formerly covered with tiles and visible from afar, was only replaced by today's cement shingle roof in the early 1970s.

The church was largely spared destruction during the war. After repairs in the post-war years, the interior was extensively renovated in 1962, which still determines its character today.

The design of the building, however, is still reflected today in the almost unchanged façade.


Renovation project

After more than 100 years of existence, the outer shell of the church is in urgent need of renovation. In preparation, the office D:4 2012 prepared a restoration report to determine the need for restoration and draw up a plan of action.

In the run-up to the refurbishment and for precise damage mapping, all vegetation on the façade was removed in 2014.

With scaffolding position 2016, the damage mapping of plaster and natural stone surfaces, the copper and lead deposits as well as the entire roof drainage was carried out.

The renovation is being carried out in several construction phases and includes the copper covers in the eaves area and on the windows, the leaded-in lead of the belt cornice and all natural stone components made of Weiberner Tuffstein, Mendiger Basalt Lava and Hartheimer Muschelkalk as well as the entire plaster surfaces executed in comb plaster. In addition, the lead glazed windows of the staircases and the main room, the seven access doors with ornamental metal fittings, the roofing and the steel framework of the dome construction as well as the two external lanterns at the main access will be repaired or renewed.

With a redesign of the outdoor areas around the church, the renovation is completed.


Construction phases

2016/2017 - Renovation of the facades from the base to the eaves including windows, doors and copper sheet covers.

2018 - Renovation and upgrading of the dome structure in preparation for the installation of a new roof covering.

2019 - Restoration of the historical plain tile roofing on the dome.

2020 - Redesign of the exterior of the church.


The Königin-Luise-Gedächtniskirche is pleased to receive donations for the renovation measures to the following donation account:

Church Administration Office Berlin Mitte-West
Berliner Sparkasse
DE42 1005 0000 0190 6655 05
Intended use: KLSG-Kirchbau


> Press photos